Sunday, October 20, 2013

Time for the ER!

Well, I'm all done in urgent care, and after a refreshing weekend at home, it's time to start in the ER as the second part of my emergency medicine rotation! My first shift is 8am-6pm tomorrow, so that's pretty normal, but then I have some night ones (5pm-3am) that should be pretty interesting. I've always been a morning person, and my productivity and attention span definitely dwindles at night, so hopefully I'll be able to reset my internal clock for a few days!

My last couple of shifts in the urgent care were great! I got to see a couple interesting things, and still got to manage some more "typical" urgent care cases. I got to sew my first face - a woman had fallen in her bathroom that morning, and had a 1.5-inch laceration through her eyebrow that I got to stitch up! It turned out great, and she was very happy with my work, which is always nice.

Something else that was pretty satisfying was correctly diagnosing a couple of different skin rashes - a lot of them look the same, and most urgent care/ER/primary care docs who see rashes just try to throw a steroid cream at it and hope it goes away, because they can't tell what it is. But! I recognized two different rashes that I learned about in school, which was pretty awesome. It's definitely rewarding to realize that something you studied in school paid off!

Other than those cases, there wasn't too much excitement in the urgent care last week. I'll post an update tomorrow on how my first ER day goes - I'll be with a PA, and I've heard that they tend to see more urgent care-type cases (at least at this hospital), so it might be more of the same things I've already seen. The remainder of my shifts in the ER are with doctors, though, so I will definitely get to see some trauma and more life-threatening things. Part of me is excited for it, but I'm also definitely a little scared! I'm sure no one will let me do anything that matters too much, which is reassuring at least. I'll post an update tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment