Saturday, March 8, 2014

Quick update!

Hello all! Nothing has been amazingly exciting here, but it's time for an update anyway. We did see a couple cool cases yesterday...one finger dislocation that we pulled back into place, and one guy who had some metal shavings in his eye that we removed! In school you learn that if there's a foreign body in the eye, you make sure the patient is stable and call an ophthalmologist. In Montana...you try to take it out yourself! All we did was numb his eye and then use this metal hook thing to try to pry the small piece of metal out. It worked!

Nothing too interesting has come into the ER recently, either. I haven't been able to do any hands-on stuff like suturing or stapling in a while. But I've been getting lots of experience diagnosing colds, sinus infections, mono, and the flu! And, amazingly, I haven't come down with any of those things (yet!). Every once in a while there's a case that's more interesting clinically, but most of it is pretty simple. I'm starting to feel pretty confident with primary care, since at this point I've had quite a bit of exposure to it! I'm even getting better with little kids, which is nice. I don't think I'll ever want to work in pediatrics, but it's obviously a good skill set to have.

Anyway, this weekend I'm going to try to explore the area a little more, and maybe venture up to Canada! Then next weekend I'm going on a skiing vacation in southern Montana with my boyfriend, who's flying up to visit for a long weekend. I'm sure this next week will fly by!

No comments:

Post a Comment