Monday, November 4, 2013

An underwhelming first day of neurosurgery

So, today wasn't very exciting. At all. This morning, I had orientation for about an hour and a half, and apparently that was during the most exciting time of my preceptor's day (pre-rounds and rounds). So, by the time I got up to the neuro trauma unit, my preceptor and the other PA were basically just doing documentation and putting in orders. Since I obviously hadn't actually seen any of the patients they were writing about, it was hard to learn much from watching, and I obviously couldn't help them by writing any notes myself. So, overall, today was definitely underwhelming. I saw exactly two patients for a grand total of....three minutes. My preceptor was basically just checking in to see how they were doing (both were post-op). Not too exciting.

I really, really hope being there in the morning on every other day makes it more interesting...we will see! And I'm definitely going to ask about getting in on some surgeries if nobody asks me about it by the end of the week! Doing inpatient things for the entire six weeks of this rotation that I thought was going to be a surgery rotation (I mean, it's a neurosurgery rotation!) would be frustrating and, while I would still probably learn a lot, not as fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment