Sunday, November 3, 2013

Getting ready for neurosurgery!

Well, my emergency medicine rotation is over, and tomorrow I start neurosurgery at another hospital in Pittsburgh. This is one of my elective rotations, and I'm so excited!! I've always loved brains and found them fascinating, so I'm really excited to get a sense of what working in something in that area would be like. From what I can tell so far, it's going to be a good rotation, though it doesn't sound like I will necessarily get to see a lot of surgeries, which is a little disappointing. But, my preceptor (who's a PA!) said that the surgeons are normally pretty good about letting students come in on cases, so hopefully I'll get to see at least a couple while I'm there. At least I'll get a lot of experience with patient care before and after surgeries!

My last two shifts in the ER were more or less uneventful, though I did see one patient come in with a heart attack and get rushed away quickly to the cath lab, and I found out later that she arrested and died right outside the lab. So that was sad, of course. I also saw a couple of other codes, but they all ended successfully (with a living patient). While I liked emergency medicine, I'm glad I'm done with that rotation. It was strange working with a different doctor/PA every day, and I'm so glad I'll just be with one person on this next rotation, and that I'll have a consistent, weekdays-only schedule. I'll post tomorrow with an update on my first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment