Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Still in IM...

I'm still doing my internal medicine rotation, and just wanted to check in quickly! I'm not loving the rotation, mostly because I'm pretty frustrated with the lack of care most patients actually receive, and I don't want to rant about it too much in case anyone from my school (or the doctor's office) could happen to find my blog somehow. But, essentially: the office I'm at sees a high volume of patients each day, and that means that the doctor spends about 2-3 minutes with each patient, and really glosses over some things that (in my opinion) should be given more consideration. So! It's up to the students to really talk to the patient and advocate for what they think the patients need, but the doctor can choose to ignore some really glaring things.

I'm honestly pretty disappointed in this rotation. As my preceptor's head nurse said to me today, "This is the rotation where you learn what not to do." My preceptor is a personable guy and pretty friendly, and his patients like him because of this, but they're really not receiving in-depth, quality care. I'm hoping my next rotations in Montana will be different!

No comments:

Post a Comment