Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Another day of surgery!

I think surgery day is my favorite day of the week. Even though I'm usually in the way and constantly worried about breaking the sterile field, it's really fun and a great experience. The hospital I'm in is pretty small, and they don't have any other students but me right now, so I get all the help and attention from the other doctors, nurses, and even the anesthesiologists! They all love showing me things, and they're very patient with me.

Today I saw a laparoscopic tubal ligation, and I got to drive the camera while my preceptor cut the tubes! I also got to practice suturing on a real person for the first time, which was intimidating because about four people were watching me. I did okay, but I was definitely shaky. Good thing the incisions were small and you can just use Steri-Strips to close them anyway! I also saw two vaginal hysterectomies, and I got to hold the bladder retractor both times. Holding the same strength and positioning for 30 minutes is not easy! My preceptor and the nurses said they were glad I was there, because normally one of them has to hold it. They were happy for a break, and I was happy for the chance to actually help and do something, so everybody wins! The other surgery I saw today was a LEEP, and that went really quickly. In fact, the whole day was over pretty fast! I'm currently on a break, but I have to go back to the clinic in about half an hour to see the patient with the infected C-section so we can change her dressing one more time. After that, though, I'm done for the day.

I really do think I like surgery, or at least assisting with surgery. I'm not sure I'd like to be the one actually cutting and making decisions, but I'm happy to watch and help! Guess it's a good thing I want to be a PA and not a doctor, then. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment